Thursday, May 9, 2013

TXL, BLP and All Other Acronyms Associated With The FGC / Memoirs of a Vice Capt. - ONE

Foreword

I've been meaning to write this story down about my life in the FGC afraid that one day I might forget all about it because after all they did contain some truly magical, bitterly frustrating and sometimes outright stupid moments that have become a part of my memories one way or another. I finally moved a joint to write this down after looking at old pictures on Round1.sg's Facebook page. Ha. And I'm not going to put this down in chronological order so you're gonna get this however fresh it comes to mind, straight up, just the way it has always been, telling it like it is.

Disclaimer: Before you proceed any further, I want every single one of you to know that this is in no way "HATE", nor is it "SPITEFUL", this is not a personal attack on any one body, I'm done with that it's all in the past, I don't bear grudges and as I'm telling these stories I want to share with you the emotions I felt so as to be as honest as I can be. If this is not going to sit well with you, then I suggest you read no further then this paragraph.

So here it is. Chapter 1. I'll call this...

The accidental symmetry of black comedy found in this
picture anon is sincerely romantic.

Jonda Has Arrived

Now I'm sure I've been quoted on this many a times but I'll go out to say it once more, that I started out just like you, my friend, yes, standing in the back, quiet as a bat, watching these bar-like tournaments going on in that lowly TKA Arcade down at Bugis. They were always so crowded. Always filled with so much energy. It didn't occur to me in the beginning, to want to be a Emcee, or a Commentator, or a TO... For me honestly? I just wanted to be part of this circle of seemingly wonderful people. I thought to myself,

"Boy this does look fun."

Bah we save all that integration BS for another chapter. Now we fast forward to early 2010. By now, I had somewhat become familiar with the entity that is known as Round1.sg, the community folks, some of which had by now become my friends. It was the start of the work year for Round1.sg, many big things were about to happen. So here I was in that lowly TKA Arcade again, when all of a sudden, a wild Real Deal, rang me on the phone, and asked me to come up to MOS Burger.

I got up, I saw a bunch of people, the committee that is, and they made it very fast for me, Real Deal at least, made it very fast for me. He asked me if I wanted to be part of Round1.sg, and without a seconds hesitation, I said,

"Yes."

The first task I was given in that work year, was Round1.sg's first anniversary tournament. Yes my friend, when I joined the team, Round1.sg was 1 year old. I wasn't just going to make it a tournament like those bi-weekly tournaments before it. C'mon, it's a birthday, it's gotta be special innit. I wrecked my brains hard brother, I kept thinking of things that we could do that would be different. I sat up in my bed for nights, I'm not lying about this part, I literally stayed in bed sleepless. And then it hit me.

I don't know what exactly, or when exactly, but it just did. For starters man, the poster for that event was great. I could have done a better job with the layout and Typography, but I was barely even't a professional Designer then. But Jen contributed some awesome illustrations for that poster that we plastered all over TKA, all over Singapore. I had this idea to give out awards to players based on crowd votes y'know, not just pot prizes for the top 3, I had the idea that more people should stand a chance to win something, for showing up, for showing their support, I wanted everyone to have fun, was what was going through my mind. So I made up this list of silly awards like MVP, Most Ballsy Player Award, Most Xialan Player etc... I made 5 of these categories and got everyone excited on Forums, promising them prizes if they won a certain category.

Now honest to God, again, I'm not lying, I wished I had money, because it was my intention in the first place, to get some real awesome prizes. Most of you don't know this man, but the team went out weeks before the event approaching game shops, famous game shops from Funan to Far East, to seek their support in contributing ANYTHING, ANYTHING, as prizes for you folks, we reached out to so many, but at the end of the date, none of these game shops replied, none of them supported. What else was a poor boy to do? Dood, I got you guys gifts from Daiso. $10 man, from my own pocket.

I gave some really wacky prizes that I can't quite remember now... But I remember I gave the MVP a Nail Clipper, because he was the MVP, so he had to take care of his fingers, and nails. Ha.

-

(I'll end it here and continue the later half of this story on another day, more bacon eggs and cheese to come!)

No comments:

Post a Comment